joes basecamp gym northern beaches

Jaco Ottink on Everest Part X

Jaco after all his training at Joe’s Basecamp is now getting high on the Everest as he acclimatizes ready for his summit push. Read the next thrilling installment:

Hi all,

Jaco and team made it to Camp 3 and are now back in Base camp, recovering and waiting for better weather. Please see below a summary of a week on the mountain …



I’ve been away from Everest Base Camp exactly one week, but this week feels like an expedition in itself. Thursday the 28th my alarm wakes me up at 1.30 am. Today is the day we’ll go into the notorious Khumbu Icefalls, on our way to Camp 1 at 6100 meter. After breakfast, which I find difficult to digest at this time of the day, we’re being sent into the darkness, after having received a blessing from head-Sherpa Purba. With ‘only’ 18 kilos in my backpack and headlight on, I leave Base Camp behind me. After an hour we reach the glacier and put on our crampons. My estimation is it’s around -15 degrees, which means you have to be quick if you take off your gloves to do something, or else… The Khumbu Icefalls are notorious because they are continuously moving and because you have to walk through an icefield with ice towers as high as 40 meters, and crevasses as deep as 100 meters. Despite knowing all of this I feel very confident and happy with my skills and materials.


After sweating for three hours the real fun starts – the crevasses and ice towers are so big we need to bridge and conquer them with ladders: sometimes two ladders tied to each other, but in one case even five ladders tied to each other. At the vertical passage with these five ladders, two Sherpa’s find it necessary to go straight behind me on the ladder. When I’m almost there and want to get off the ladder, the whole ladder construction moves out of the ice wall by half a meter … After having caught my breath first I yell at them in Dutch. Despite the fact that the scenery is magical and unique, I’m not taking any pictures. On a regular basis you hear the ice break with enormous bangs and hence for four hours “don’t think, just walk” is our mantra to get through the ice falls as quickly as possible. The final part of the Icefalls is a 25 meter high vertical ice wall. Super-cool but after six hours of climbing extremely tough. An hour later I get into my tent and I call Russ via the radio to let him know I’m safe, so he can inform Daan.


The route for the next day is not that long, but again presents more than enough challenges. First I hear that the 5-ladder construction that we took has been completely ruined at the end of yesterday by a falling ice tower, which obviously makes me think. Today we’re zigzagging on the glacier to Camp 2 at 6400 meter. Again, we’re using many ladders and have to conquer vertical parts and I notice I have to get used to the altitude as I need to catch my breath after every climb. At this moment, there’s only 30% of the oxygen in the air compared to what you would have at sea level. After two hours of climbing I’m very happy to spot Camp 2. But unfortunately it’s like the holidays in Switzerland with my parents when I was a child: you can already see the hut but it seems to take forever to get there. Struggling and exhausted I arrive at Camp 2 at the beginning of the afternoon. I’m the second to arrive. We end up staying here for three days because of the heavy snowfall. The temperature is obviously even lower than at Base Camp which is why I’m wearing my down suit half the time. Very warm and comfy, but also very annoying when you need to go to the toilet and have to pooh in squat position in some sort of a plastic bag (all human waste goes back to Kathmandu!).


In the meantime it’s the second of May and I have started noticing the effects of sleep deprivation. Just like the others at night I’m having weird dreams or I can’t control my breathing, which is driving me nuts and keeps me awake for hours. Anyways, I pack all my stuff and around 7.30 am we’re leaving for Camp 3 at 7200 meters. My altitude record so far is 6972 meters, so very unique that we’ll sleep at 7200 meters tonight. Because of the cold we’re all wearing our down suit which is great for the first hour, but after that I’m sweating like crazy. On the glacier, my watch indicates a temperature of 37 degrees! With the exception of the first hour the remaining 7.5 hours are close to vertical climbing, vertical as in up to 60 degrees. Next to this, the ice is as hard as stone and either your crampons or your ice axe appear not to have any grip. For some parts my pace is only five steps walking, ten counts rest, five steps walking, ten counts rest. Finally at 4pm I’m there and I quickly get into my sleeping bag. Unfortunately it’s completely clouded but the following morning I see we are right underneath the summit. But, today we won’t go up as our bodies simply wouldn’t cope with the lack of oxygen. Therefore we’re going back to Camp 2 and I’m in the front. Normally quite nice but climbing back on this ice wall, whilst it’s freezing cold and knowing that all ropes are covered with snow, is not necessarily funny. Other groups are also very accommodating with me going first, so there I go. The first half an hour I’m quite nervous but slowly I find my rhythm. After four hours we’re back in Camp 2 again and I receive many compliments for leading the way. In the afternoon we find out that unfavourable weather is forecasted, so the plan is we’ll get some rest and recover at Base Camp, which means that ultimately we have to through the Icefalls at least one more time.


It’s May the 5th and at 3am my alarm clock rings. An hour later I have my headlight on again. It’s terribly cold and everything is covered with snow. This presents a challenge immediately as the route across the glacier is untraceable. Because of the snow most crevasses are not visible and this causes a major risk. Therefore we need to wait for half an hour until the first rays of sunlight light up the mountain. I literally almost faint because of the cold. After having walked for an hour the view is so beautiful that I decide to grab my camera, which I pay for with frozen fingers for an hour. After having reached Camp 1 through various abseil-points the Khumbu adventure starts again. My legs are still tired from yesterday but the icy scenery is just unique, especially now we’re seeing it at daylight. Yes, I’m very careful and still not taking any pictures, and I’m suppressing the pain of my blue toes. After Lobuche they had already turned blue, but my toe on the right side has now turned purple and on the left hand side the nail is completely detached bar 2 mm’s. I’ve taped both toes but this doesn’t take away the pain. Two hours later I’m at the bottom of the “ice playground” and I message Russ via the radio that I’ll be in Base Camp in the next half an hour.


Another week of acclimatisation is done. I’m now going to call my love and after that we’ll take a couple of days rest before we’ll be away again for a week, after which we’ll hopefully return with the summit in the pocket.



 Dutch version

Ik ben precies een week weg geweest uit Everest BC maar het voelt als een expeditie op zich. Donderdag de 28e gaat mijn wekker al om half twee. De dag dat we door de beruchte Khumbu Icefalls gaan, op weg naar kamp 1 op 6100m. Na een ontbijt, wat ik met veel moeite weg krijg, worden we het donker ingestuurd, maar eerst zegent hoofd-Sherpa Purba ons. Met ‘slechts’ 18 kilo op mijn rug en mijn hoofdlampje aan laat ik het Base Camp achter mij. Na een goed uur begint de gletsjer dus stijgijzers onder. Het is denk ik -15 graden dus als je al je handschoenen uit doet om iets te doen dan moet je snel zijn. De Khumbu Icefall is bekend doordat de gletsjer continu in beweging is en je door een ijsveld loopt met torens van ijs, oplopend tot 40 meter, en spleten zo diep als 100 meter. Ondanks deze wetenschap voel ik me zeker en happy met mijn techniek en materialen. Na 3 uur zweten wordt het echt leuk en zijn de scheuren en torens zo groot dat ik ze moet overbruggen met ladders. Soms twee aan elkaar gebonden maar ook één keer vijf aan elkaar. Bij deze verticale passage vinden twee Sherpa’s het nodig achter mij aan te klimmen. Het gevolg is dat wanneer ik bijna van de ladder wil stappen het gehele mechanisme een halve meter uit de ijswand komt. Eenmaal op adem scheld ik de twee de huid vol. Ondanks dat de omgeving uniek is, neem ik niet te tijd om foto’s te maken. Regelmatig hoor je om je heen het ijs splijten door gigantische klappen en het is dus gewoon vier uur lang blik op oneindig. De route eindigt met een 25 meter hoge verticale ijswand. Super-gaaf maar na zes uur klimmen extreem zwaar. Een uur later duik ik mijn tent in en vertel ik Russell dat ik veilig ben zodat hij Daan kan informeren.


De volgende dag hoeven we op zich niet zo lang maar is er weer voldoende uitdaging. Eerst hoor ik het nieuws dat de 5 ladder sectie gisteren aan het einde van de dag compleet is vernield door een ijstoren, wat me toch even aan het denken zet. Vandaag zigzaggen we over de gletsjer naar kamp 2 op 6400 meter. Ook nu weer veel ladders en verticale stukken die moeten worden overbrugd en ik merk dat ik aan de hoogte moet wennen en na iedere klim op adem moet komen. Op dit moment zit er nog maar 30% van de zuurstof in de lucht ten opzichte van zeeniveau. Na 2 uur klimmen zie ik al het kamp en ben ik helemaal happy. Het lijkt echter meer op een vakantie in Zwitserland met mijn ouders vroeger: je ziet de hut maar vervolgens duurt het nog een eeuwigheid. Al ploeterend en gesloopt kom ik begin van de middag als tweede aan in het kamp. We blijven hier uiteindelijk drie dagen, mede omdat het gigantisch sneeuwt. De temperatuur is hier uiteraard nog lager dan in Base Camp en om die reden loop ik de halve dag met mijn donspak aan. Lekker warm en comfi maar super irritant als je naar de wc moet en je daar op je hurken in een soort van Hema-tas je behoefte moet doen (alle human waste gaat mee terug)!


Het is ondertussen 2 mei en ik begin het matige slapen te voelen. Net als de rest heb ik of gekke dromen of krijg ik mijn ademhaling niet tot rust, iets waar ik helemaal simpel van word en wat mij uren wakker houdt. Desalniettemin pak ik mijn spullen in en vertrekken we rond half acht naar kamp drie op 7200 meter. Mijn hoogterecord is 6972 meter dus uniek om vanavond hier zelfs te slapen. Vanwege de kou gaan we allemaal in ons donspak wat het eerste uur prima bevalt maar daarna loopt het zweet van mijn rug. Op de gletsjer geeft mijn horloge +37 graden aan! Op het eerste uur na gaat de rest van de 7,5 uur alleen maar stijl omhoog. En met stijl bedoel ik tot 60 graden. Daarnaast is het ijs zo hard als steen zodat of je stijgijzers geen grip hebben of je ijsbijl niet. Op sommige passages is mijn tempo vijf stappen lopen, tien tellen rust. Uiteindelijk om 4 uur in de middag ben ik er en zoek ik snel mijn slaapzak op. Helaas zit het helemaal dicht, maar in de ochtend kan ik zien dat we recht onder de top van Everest zitten. Toch gaan we nu nog niet naar boven aangezien ons lichaam dat qua zuurstof gewoon niet aan zou kunnen. Dus op naar kamp twee en ik ga voorop. Normaal best leuk maar terugklimmen op deze ijswand, terwijl het ijskoud is en in de wetenschap dat alle touwen ondergesneeuwd zijn, is geen pretje. Andere groepen hebben er ook geen probleem mee dat ik eerst ga dus daar ga ik dan. Het eerste half uur ben ik best zenuwachtig maar gaandeweg vind ik mijn weg. Na vier uur klimmen ontvang ik de complimenten en zijn we er. In de middag horen we dat er matig weer op komst is, dus het plan is dat we rust dagen pakken in Base Camp, lees: teruggaan door de Icefall.


Het is 5 mei en om 3 uur gaat mijn wekker en een uur later zit mijn hoofdlampje weer voor op mijn hoofd. Het is verschrikkelijk koud en er ligt een dik pak sneeuw. Dit resulteert direct in een uitdaging aangezien de route over de gletsjer in het donker niet te vinden is. Door de sneeuw zijn de meeste spleten niet meer zichtbaar en lopen we dus een mega-risico. We wachten dus in de kou een half uur zodat de eerste zon de berg verlicht en ik ga, niet overdreven, bijna van mijn graatje door de kou. Na een uur lopen is het uitzicht zo mooi dat ik toch mijn camera pak en dit moet ik bekopen met een uur bevroren vingers. Na Camp 1 via diverse abseil-punten te hebben bereikt begint het Khumbu avontuur weer. Ik merk dat mijn benen nog moe zijn van gisteren maar wat een uniek mooi landschap van ijs. Omdat we er nu met licht doorheen lopen is het nog indrukwekkender. Ja, ik let goed op wat ik doe en maak nog steeds geen foto’s en verbijt de pijn van mijn blauwe tenen. Na Lobuche waren ze al blauw maar rechts is nu helemaal paars en links zit mijn nagel nog voor 2mm vast, dus heb ik hem getaped wat alleen de pijn niet minder maakt. Dik twee uur later sta ik onderaan de ijs-speeltuin en bel ik over de radio naar Russ om te zeggen dat ik met een half uur in Base Camp ben.


Een week acclimatiseren zit er op. Ik ga nu met mijn lief bellen en daarna een paar dagen rust nemen voordat we weer een week weg zijn, maar dan hopelijk terugkomen met de summit in de pocket.



No Comments

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.