25 Jan Kickstart Your 2024 with Trekking Training Goals!
Today, I’m going to talk about reviewing, specifically reflection and reviewing in the reflective process. This is incredibly important for improving our performance and continually enhancing our skills in everything we do. We’ll apply this process to our adventures, events, and training, but its benefits extend to all areas of life.
Please don’t forget to like and subscribe to be updated on my latest uploads and so that I can continue creating contents like this.
Properly embracing this practice can place you in the top 10% of performers worldwide. It’s a fantastic process that everyone should incorporate into their routine on a daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly, and yearly basis. If you’re not already doing it, consider integrating it into the coming year.
In the realm of training, this process is invaluable. It allows us to analyse the past year, identify what worked, what didn’t, what we’ll carry forward, and what we’ll discard.
Here’s my approach: first, gather all relevant information from training apps like TrainingPeaks, Strava, or strength and conditioning apps such as Crew Coach, Trainerize, or Train Heroic. Alternatively, if you’re old-school with an analog approach, using a Moleskine diary or similar, that works too. Collect all this information and set it aside.
Before diving into writing, take some time to step back. Find an inspirational space or go for a walk to clear your mind. Bring along your Moleskine journal and start reflecting on the past year. Consider the most significant events, adventures, and experiences—both completed and unfinished. Reflect on the factors that influenced your year, focusing on the things within your control.
Avoid a victim mindset when discussing external factors. Instead, focus on what you learned and gained from challenges beyond your control.
Now, let’s delve into specific areas for reflection:
- Identify the factors that made the biggest difference to your year, whether in training or mindset.
- Acknowledge the teamwork involved, recognising those who supported you and considering the impact on your journey.
- Examine what supported you, both externally and internally.
- Express gratitude for the people and things that positively contributed to your year.
- Reflect on your most significant learnings, considering books, mentors, observations, and experiences.
- Conclude by contemplating the Magic Three: (1) what you’ll start doing, (2) stop doing, and (3) continue doing.
So, once you’ve meticulously reviewed and compiled all this information, you’ll have a comprehensive understanding of your past year’s performance. Now, let’s take a closer look at the metrics:
- Training Hours:
- Primary Training: Focus on the hours dedicated to your core sport or activity (e.g., running, hiking, paddling).
- Secondary Training: Consider the hours spent on endurance-related activities that support your primary training.
- Strength and Mobility: Account for the time invested in strength training and mobility work.
- Quality of Training:
- Rate the overall quality of your training on a scale of 0 to 10. This provides a global assessment of your training effectiveness throughout the year.
- Injuries and Illnesses:
- Record the occurrences of injuries and illnesses, specifying their types and durations.
- Assess if there are patterns or connections between your lifestyle, mobility work, and the frequency of injuries or illnesses.
By analysing these metrics, you gain valuable insights into your physical condition, training effectiveness, and overall well-being. This serves as a foundation for setting meaningful goals and creating a vision for the upcoming year.
Before embarking on new goals or a vision for the future, it’s essential to complete this thorough review. It helps prioritise what matters most to you now, considering shifts in importance that may have occurred over the past year.
Remember, the process of reflection and reviewing is not just about setting goals; it’s about understanding yourself, your progress, and the factors influencing your journey. Once you’ve undergone this comprehensive review, you’ll be better equipped to plan and set realistic, impactful goals for the coming year.
BONUS: We’ve created a six-page workbook that neatly guides you through this review process. It’s readily available for YOU! You can access it HERE!
As you prepare for the new year, armed with insights from your review, you’ll be on a solid foundation to achieve your aspirations and navigate the challenges ahead. Best of luck on your journey of continuous improvement and growth!